When it comes to finding the best gooseneck trailer, there is no shortage of options since nearly every well-known manufacturer, including Diamond C, Load Trail, PJ Trailers, Big Tex Trailers, Kaufman Trailers, Texas Pride, Iron Bull, and Maxx D, offers a variety of gooseneck trailers.
This only makes comparing gooseneck trailers that much more important since you don’t want to buy a gooseneck that does not meet your needs. The best gooseneck trailer is the one that gets your specific jobs done regardless of the size or manufacturer.
On our best gooseneck trailer list, we reviewed five of the best gooseneck flatbed trailers on the market to help make your search easier. If you’re looking for a dump trailer, check out our Top 5 Best Dump Trailer Buying Guide.
Advantages of a Gooseneck Over a 5th Wheel
Both gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers have their own unique features, but some may find gooseneck trailers more appealing for the following three reasons:
- Versatility: Flatbed gooseneck trailers tend to be more versatile than fifth wheel flatbed trailers. They can be used for various types of cargo, from heavy machinery to livestock. The design of the gooseneck hitch allows for more maneuverability, especially in tight spaces, which can make them preferable for hauling a wide range of items.
- Increased Stability and Weight Distribution: Gooseneck trailers offer better weight distribution over the rear axle of the towing vehicle. This helps with stability, especially when hauling heavy loads. Because of the gooseneck hitch’s location and design, the weight is spread more evenly, allowing for a more stable ride and potentially greater hauling capacity.
- Ease of Use and Connection: Some users find that connecting and disconnecting a gooseneck trailer is easier than dealing with a 5th wheel hitch. The design may be less cumbersome, and with practice, the connection process can be quicker. Additionally, the hitching mechanism is often less intrusive in the bed of the towing vehicle, allowing for more usable space when the trailer is not connected.
It’s essential to consider the specific needs and preferences of the user when choosing between these two types of trailers. Factors like the towing vehicle, type of cargo, frequency of use, and personal preferences will play a significant role in determining the best option.
What About Enclosed Gooseneck Trailers?
Let’s use an 18′ enclosed gooseneck trailer for our example. This typically refers to a trailer that’s approximately 18 feet in length, not counting the gooseneck section. It has a covered or “enclosed” cargo space that shields items from the elements.
Best Used For:
- Transporting Equipment: The enclosed space makes it ideal for safely moving machinery or tools. Landscapers, builders, or trade professionals might use these trailers to carry their equipment from job to job.
- Vehicle Transport: These trailers can be used to transport vehicles like ATVs, motorcycles, or small cars, protecting them from the elements during transit. A 53 ft enclosed gooseneck trailer is a common choice for vehicle transportation.
- Livestock: Some enclosed gooseneck trailers are designed specifically for moving livestock, ensuring the animals are shielded from external conditions. A 32 foot enclosed gooseneck trailer can be used.
- Mobile Business: They can be customized and used as mobile boutiques, command centers, or other mobile businesses.
- Storage: For those needing extra space, they can act as a storage unit that can be moved when necessary.
- Recreation: They can be used for recreational purposes, like transporting camping gear or sports equipment for events.
- Featherlite Trailers: Known for their durable aluminum trailers, they offer a variety of designs, from car haulers to livestock trailers.
- Pace American: This brand is one of the largest national manufacturers of gooseneck cargo trailers. Their products are known for durability and versatility.
- Sundowner Trailers: A brand recognized for its high-quality horse and livestock trailers, but they also produce utility and cargo trailers.
- Big Tex Trailers: This brand produces a variety of trailer types, including gooseneck trailers, and is known for its robust and durable designs.
- Cargo Mate: A division of Forest River, Inc., they offer a variety of enclosed trailers suitable for many applications.
- Haulmark: Another well-known name in the industry, Haulmark offers a variety of trailer options, including enclosed gooseneck trailers.
Now on to our list of gooseneck brand trailers.
#1 BIG TEX 22GN HD TANDEM DUAL-AXLE GOOSENECK
The 22GN trailer offered by Big Tex Trailers is the first on our best goose neck trailer list. It’s a high-quality trailer with steel construction that boasts a high-quality protective finish. The trailer is cleaned thoroughly before hand-off, giving it the look you’d expect from an expensive trailer.
This best gooseneck trailer features a pine wood-treated floor, with Big Tex offering an upgrade to Douglas fir. It also features tie-down pockets on 24″ centers, side rails with a 6″ channel and a rub rail, and chain spools. These standard features ensure that your load gets to the destination safely.
You can also upgrade to the big Tex 35+5 for an extra 5′ of length bringing the total weight to 7,950 lbs. Or, go with the Big Tex 14GN 20+5 for a little more efficiency as a construction trailer.
And for even more load capacity, check out the 3xgn Big Tex for sale.
It’s the attention to smaller details that makes this gooseneck trailer an option on our best gooseneck trailer list and worth spending hard-earned money on. It comes equipped with DOT-approved LED lights, making the trailer fit for American and Canadian roads.
The spare tire protects you from significant delays, allowing you to get the dual wheel axles back on the road, quicker. Big Tex offers torque tubes standard on trailers longer than 28′, helping prevent frame fatigue and frame flex.
However, like any trailer on the market, the 22GN also has some cons. The trailer does not have big ramps, which can make loading cargo difficult. Additionally, the trailer does not feature safety steps, making it difficult to climb onto the trailer.
Big Tex also has the 20 GN model which is a 20GN 20ft gooseneck trailer.
- 23,900 lbs. GVWR
- 10,000 lbs. GAWR per axle
- 12″ I-Beam frame, 16# (19# on 28 Trailer & Longer)
- 12″ I-Beam Neck, 16#
- 16″ x 6″ wheels, with Black Dual Wheel 8 Bolt
- 2″ Treated Pine floor, with optional Douglas Fir upgrade
- 2-5/16″ Ball Adj. Square Crank Type coupler
- 3″ Channel cross members
- 3/8″ Grd. 70 Safety Chains w/Safety Latch Hook (2 each)
- 5 Cleated Dovetail w/5 Double Hinged, Spring-Assisted Flip-Over Ramps
- 6″ Channel Side Rails w/Rub Rail, Stake Pockets, and Chain Spools
- 7-Way RV electrical plug
- Dual 12,000 lbs. Drop Leg Jacks (Bolted On)
- Heavy Duty 30,000 lbs. Adjustable Suspension
- LED DOT Stop lights, tail lights, turn lights, and clearance lights
- ST235/80 R-16 Load Range E Dual tires
- Two 10,000 lbs. Dual Wheel w/ Electric Brakes (Oil Bath)
#2 Pro-Line Gooseneck Deck Over/ Flatbed 14,000 GVW
Pro-Line 14,000 GVW Gooseneck Deck Over trailer comes in number two on our best gooseneck trailer list. It’s available in 20′, 25′, 28′, and 30′ lengths and you can pick one up at Rocky Mount, Virginia among many other locations. The Pro-Line 25ft gooseneck is one of the more popular choices.
- 14,000 GVW
- 102″ Wide
- 12″ I-Beam
- 16″ Radial Tires
- 2″ Pressure Treated Floor
- 20″X60″ Fold Up Ramps
- 3″ Channel Cross members
- 5ft Dove Tail Wood
- 7 Way RV Plug
- 7000# EZY Lube Axles
- 8 Lug Steel Wheels
- 2 5/16 Ball Adjustable Gooseneck Coupler
- Break-Away Box
- Chain Basket
- DOT LED Lighting
- DOT Tape
- Electric Brakes
- EZY Lube Axles
- EZY Lube Hubs
- Heavy Duty Safety Chains
- Powder Coated
- Rub Rail
- Side Step
- Side Turn Flasher
- Single 12,000lb Drop Leg Jack
- Spare Tire Mount
- Spring Suspension
- Stake Pockets
The Model #724EG14 is also a 24ft gooseneck trailer for sale from Pro-Line.
#3 Top Hat Trailer Gooseneck 159
Top Hat Trailer manufactures some of the industry’s best gooseneck trailers which is why we’ve included them on our best gooseneck utility trailer list. Their Gooseneck 159 features durable Dexter axles, flush-mounted LED lights, and DOT-approved reflective tape standard in the models, regardless of the length of the trailer you choose.
The manufacturer also offers several upgrade options that can make moving equipment convenient which is why we chose to include them in our best gooseneck trailer review. Some notable upgrade options include spare tires, upgraded tires, jumbo ramps, combo dovetail, an underbody toolbox in different sizes, 1″ D-rings, and electric/hydraulic disc brakes.
- 15,900 lbs. GVWR
- Low Pro Pierced I-Beam
- 2″ Treated Pine Floor
- 5 Leaf Slipper Spring Suspension
- Break Away Unit w/Charger
- DOT Reflective Tape
- Driver & Curb Side Steps w/Grab Handles
- Dual 10,000 lbs. Drop Leg Jack
- Electric All Wheel Brake
- E-Z Lube – 1/2 Cambered
- Lockable Toolbox Between Risers
- Spare Tire Rack Inside Neck (Spare Tire Optional)
- Two 5/16″ Round Adjustable Couplers
- Two 7000 lbs. Dexter Axles
- Two Electric Brakes Nev-R-Adjust
- Winch Plate Between Risers
- Wiring Harness w/Sealed LED Lights
#3 PJ GOOSENECK TRAILERS LOW-PRO FLATDECK WITH DUALS
PJ Trailers is among the best-known manufacturers in the trailer industry so we felt they deserved a spot here on our best gooseneck trailer list. Check out PJ trailers reviews to learn more about these and their hot shot trailer and be on the lookout for our Diamond C vs. PJ Trailers post coming soon.
PJ offers several gooseneck trailers for different use cases. The Low-Pro Flatdeck gooseneck trailer comes with a number of impressive features.
The relatively high GVWR of 25,000 lbs. allows you to haul heavy loads, including equipment and cargo, without much hassle. For heavier loads, consider a 40k GVWR gooseneck trailer.
The double jacks help keep the trailer stable, the DOT-approved reflective tape and LED lights help to ensure high visibility, and the powder coat finish ensures the paint doesn’t get damaged easily.
The radial tires and the five-leaf spring suspension give you a smoother ride, adding to a long list of great features. The Dexter rear axle prepares the trailer for heavy-duty use.
The trailer also has steps on both sides, making it easy to board and offboard. But one gripe with the trailer is that it does not include a bridge and torque tube standard. You will need to pay a premium to equip the trailer with a torque tube to ensure the trailer stays stable and doesn’t flex or sway.
Since the low pro flatdeck is only available at dealerships like Silverline Trailers, you can expect to pay a hefty markup when you rent to own this trailer but that wasn’t a big enough reason to keep it off our best gooseneck trailer list.
This is an over 24k gooseneck trailer and can be fitted with a hydraulic dovetail.
- 25,000 lbs. GVWR
- 10,000 lbs. x 2 GAWR
- 102” Wide Deck
- 12” x 19 lb. I-Beam Main Frame, Riser & Neck
- 2 Dexter Oil Bath Brake Axles (10,000 lbs.)
- 2 Drop Leg Jacks (10,000 lbs.)
- 2 x 6 x 1/8″ Square Tubing Outer Channel Frame
- 2″ Treated Pine Lumber Deck
- 3″ Channel Crossmembers 16″ on Center
- 5 Leaf Slipper Spring Suspension
- 5-year Dexter Axle Warranty
- 8 – 16″ 235/80R16 Radial Tires (3,090 lbs.)
- 8 Dual Wheels, 16″ Grey, 8 on 6.5″ Bolt Pattern
- 8′ Ramps w/ Holders
- Acid Washed
- All-Weather Wiring Harness (7-way RV)
- Amber Side Turn Flashers
- DOT Approved Flushmount Lifetime LED Lights
- DOT Reflective Tape
- Electric Breakaway Kit w/ Charger
- Frame Bridge Standard on 30′ and up
- GN 2 5/16″ Ball Bulldog Coupler 25,000 lbs.
- Lockable Front Toolbox w/ Chain Holder
- Monster Steps on Both Sides
- Powder Coated
- Rubrail & Stake Pockets
- Safety Chains
- Sand Blasted
#4 KAUFMAN DELUXE 30 FT. TANDEM DUAL GOOSENECK
Coming in at number 4 on our best gooseneck trailer list is from Kaufman Trailers. Kaufman’s Deluxe 25000 GVWR 30 ft Tandem Dual Gooseneck Trailer might be the right option for you if you’re on the hunt for a heavy-duty gooseneck trailer. The frame comprises a one piece 12″ at 16 lb./ft. high tensile main beam on the neck and the mainframe comes with dual jacks and makes for a great hay hauling trailer.
There is 25′ of flatbed with a 5′ cleated iron dovetail and 5′ cleated spring assist ramps for easy loading of equipment, hay, or whatever else you need to haul.
One of the things that makes the trailer attractive for our best gooseneck trailer review is that it features 10K dual wheel electric brake axles, featuring heavy duty slipper spring suspension, oil bath lubrication, and radial tires. It also comes equipped with lifetime LED lights, installed with a sealed modular wiring harness. This ensures that the trailer is always well-lit.
While the trailer does not have a powder coating, it has two coats of automotive-grade enamel finish, making the exterior that much more durable.
Check out these Kaufman trailer reviews.
- 25,000 lb. Load capacity is 19,000 lb. with a 6,000 lb. hitch load
- 102 in. Deck Width
- 12 in. Pierced i-beam, with 3 in. channel crossmembers 16 in. on center
- 12 in. I-beam gooseneck tongue
- 2 in. Treated Wood floors
- 235/80 R16 LRE (3,520 lbs.) tires
- 2-5/16 in. 25,000 GVWR adjustable ball coupler or SAE 2 in. kingpin
- 30 ft. (25 ft. flat + 5 ft. dovetail)
- 37 in. With side steps standard
- 5 ft. Dovetail
- 6 in. flatbar side rail
- 60 in. x 18 in. Heavy duty flip up ramps, with spring assist
- All wheel electric brakes
- Chain box with lockable lid
- Dual 12,000 lb. drop foot hydraulic jacks
- Heavy-duty safety chains
- Sealed modular wiring harness with LED lights
- Silver or white mod Wheels (depending on stock)
- Slipper springs suspension
- Stake pockets and Rubrail tie-downs
- 2- 10,000 lb. Oil bath axles
#5 Gatormade Gooseneck Air Ride Trailer
These trailers feature a spread axle design, making them relatively more stable than some of the other gooseneck trailers on the market. They feature dexter axles, powder coat paint, and LED lights standard.
The Air Ride model made our best gooseneck trailer list because it’s equipped with 12K disc brakes and an air ride suspension, which gives the trailer its name. You can adjust the suspension according to the cargo you are hauling and ensure a smooth ride.
This is a 40ft gooseneck trailer which is ideal for large or longer load requirements.
- Two 12,000 lbs. DEXTER oil bath brake axles
- Two 12K Heavy Duty spring-loaded
- Two SAFETY steps and BIG handles
- 14″ I beam main frame construction
- 14″ I beam neck
- 16″ 235 80r 16 10-ply tires mounted on silver wheels (radial tires)
- 2 x 8 pressure-treated wood flooring
- 40′ overall bed length
- 6″ torque tube
- Aerodynamic open headboard for load protection
- Bracing under the trailer bed
- DOT-approved light package and safety breakaway kit (legal in all US states and Canada)
- Durable Powder coat paint
- Equipped with Ridewell Air-Ride Suspension
- Heavy-duty stake pocket and rub rail
- Heavy-duty stake pocket and rub-rail
- LED work light bar on top of the neck
- Locking chain box on the front
- Mounted fire extinguisher
- Mud flaps
- Preformed wire harness
- Ratchet rail
- Spread axles design
- Stand-up bars for ramps
- Winch plate
- Work light bar on top of the neck (for night loading)
#6 Load Trail Gooseneck Dump Trailer
The Load Trail Gooseneck Dump Trailer is designed to allow for easier maneuverability. It typically has a heavy-duty steel construction for durability and strength.
The trailer is equipped with a hydraulic dumping mechanism, which enables you to raise the trailer bed and unload the contents easily. This feature is particularly useful for hauling loose materials such as gravel, sand, debris, or other bulk items.
Load Capacity and Size
Load Trail Gooseneck Dump Trailers come in various load capacities and sizes to accommodate different hauling needs. The specific load capacity and dimensions will depend on the model and configuration you choose. It’s essential to consider the weight and volume of the materials you intend to transport to select the appropriate trailer.
Depending on the specific model and options, the Load Trail Gooseneck Dump Trailer may come with various additional features such as adjustable ramps for loading equipment, heavy-duty axles for increased carrying capacity, electric brakes for better control during towing, and optional tarp systems to cover the load.
Load Trail offers customization options, allowing you to select specific features, accessories, and configurations to suit your requirements. This enables you to tailor the trailer to your specific needs and preferences.
Load Trail provides a warranty on its trailers, typically covering the structure and components for a specific period. The warranty details may vary, so it’s important to review the warranty terms when considering a purchase.
#7 Texas Pride Gooseneck Dump Trailer
With its gooseneck hitch design, the Texas Pride Gooseneck Dump Trailer offers improved stability and weight distribution, making it suitable for towing heavy loads. The trailer features a robust steel frame and bed, ensuring longevity and strength even under demanding conditions.
Equipped with a hydraulic dumping mechanism, this trailer allows you to raise the bed and unload materials with ease. Whether you’re transporting gravel, debris, dirt, or other bulk items, the hydraulic dumping feature simplifies the unloading process.
Texas Pride offers a range of load capacities and sizes for their Gooseneck Dump Trailers, ensuring that you can find a model that suits your specific hauling requirements. Additionally, they often provide customization options, allowing you to select features and configurations that best meet your needs. These options may include adjustable loading ramps, heavy-duty axles, electric brakes, tarp systems, and more.
#8 Texas Pride 16000 GVWR Gooseneck Trailer
With robust construction and a 16000 GVWR rating, this gooseneck trailer is engineered to support a maximum weight of 16,000 pounds. The trailer’s sturdy steel frame and deck ensure strength and durability, allowing it to withstand the rigors of heavy-duty use.
The Texas Pride 16000 GVWR Gooseneck Trailer is available in various configurations and sizes to cater to different hauling needs. It offers flexibility in terms of length and width options, allowing you to select the dimensions that best suit your specific requirements.
Featuring a gooseneck hitch, this trailer provides enhanced stability and weight distribution, making it suitable for towing heavy loads. The gooseneck design also offers improved maneuverability, making it easier to navigate tight turns and challenging terrains.
Additional features and options are available to customize the trailer according to your preferences. These may include adjustable loading ramps that facilitate easy loading and unloading of equipment, stake pockets for securing cargo, toolboxes for convenient storage, and other accessories that enhance functionality.
Best Towing Gooseneck Hitches
Choosing the best gooseneck hitch depends on various factors such as the towing capacity, installation ease, versatility, and the specific requirements of the tow vehicle and trailer. While it’s difficult to definitively name the top three best gooseneck hitches, here are three we recommend.
- B&W Trailer Hitches Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch: B&W’s Turnoverball series is known for its high quality, durability, and ease of use. This hitch features a turnover ball that can be stowed away when not in use, leaving the truck bed free of obstruction. The Turnoverball has earned praise for its sturdy construction and ease of installation.
- CURT Double Lock Gooseneck Hitch: The CURT Double Lock series offers safety with its double-lock security feature and is renowned for its weight capacity and strength. This hitch has a chrome-plated trim ring and a durable powder-coated finish, adding to its aesthetic appeal. The double lock provides added security and confidence when towing heavy loads.
- Reese Elite Series Gooseneck Hitch: Reese’s Elite Series offers a wide range of weight capacities and is designed with ease of use in mind. Known for its robust build quality, the Reese Elite Gooseneck hitch features a Pop-In ball that can be easily removed when not in use. This series has been lauded for its user-friendly design and reliability.
When choosing a gooseneck hitch, it’s essential to consult with a professional to ensure that the hitch is compatible with both the tow vehicle and the trailer and meets all the necessary weight and safety requirements. Different hitches will offer various features that may be more or less suitable depending on the specific needs and preferences of the user.
Gooseneck Trailer Frequently Asked Questions
How Wide is a Gooseneck Trailer?
In the United States, the standard maximum width for most trailers, including gooseneck trailers, on public highways is 8.5 feet (102 inches). This width does not include safety equipment such as mirrors or lights. However, inside widths might be slightly less due to the construction and insulation of the trailer walls.
What is a 20000 lb Gooseneck Trailer?
A 20,000 lb gooseneck trailer refers to a trailer with a gooseneck hitch that has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 20,000 pounds (lbs). The GVWR indicates the maximum weight the trailer and its cargo (combined) can safely weigh, including the weight of the trailer itself.
The actual load capacity or payload capacity of the trailer will be less than 20,000 lbs, as you need to subtract the weight of the trailer itself. For example, if the trailer weighs 5,000 lbs empty, it would be capable of carrying up to 15,000 lbs of cargo.
A trailer with this kind of weight capacity is typically used for hauling heavy equipment, multiple vehicles, large quantities of materials, livestock, and more.
If you enjoyed this best gooseneck trailer list featuring what we believe are the top 8 out there, then you might also like our Top 5 Best Utility Trailer review. Or, check out our 6-point buying guide on gooseneck trailers.
If you’re looking for the biggest gooseneck trailer, a 50ft gooseneck trailer by PJ Trailers might fit the bill. It’s just about the longest gooseneck trailer on the market.
And for gooseneck dump trailers, check out the Diamond C dump trailer. Or, for a significantly lighter-weight trailer, Alum-Line offers an aluminum gooseneck trailer.