With the average dump trailer costing between $8,000 and $10,000, you will need to ensure you get your money’s worth. When looking for the best dump trailer for your needs, it’s worth taking the time to familiarize yourself with the top trailer manufacturers and the different types of dump trailers they have to offer.
For your convenience, we cover all the details and highlight the industry’s best dump trailers in this post.
What You Need to Know Before Buying a Dump Trailer
There’s no “one-size-fits-all” solution when it comes to dump trailers. Besides, there are a lot of different features that could make the best dump trailer for you, different than what you’ve seen out on the road.
Take a look at the various factors you have to consider when picking the best dump trailer.
A Brief Look at the Top Trailer Manufacturers
Some of the top brands you will come across include PJ Trailers, Big Tex Trailers, Load Trail, Lamar, Diamond C, and MaxxD.
There are dozens of other manufacturers, so if you find a lesser-known manufacturer offering something you like, you can rely on them as long as you’re also satisfied with their warranty terms.
You can buy trailers online or offline, but it’s best to buy from manufacturers that are a part of the National Association of Trailer Manufacturers. The association ensures that the member manufacturers build and sell trucks that meet the government’s reporting requirements.
There are about 500 manufacturers in the association, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding a brand you can trust.
Best Dump Trailers: Top 5 Heavy, Medium, and Light Duty Dump Trailers Compared
With hundreds of manufacturers, there is a huge selection of dump trailers to pick from. Here are the five most popular models.
#1 Diamond C LPT
The Diamond C LPT uses an I-beam frame and an HD telescopic cylinder to make handling the most extreme loads a breeze.
It is offered in 13 color options (8 standard, 5 special) and Diamond C also offers custom color paint jobs. The LPT model comes in three sizes: 12′ x 82″, 14′ x 82″, 16′ x 82″; with the GVWR varying between 14,900 – 24,000 lb.
- Axles: Two 7,000 lb Drop Super Lube, Self-Adjust Electric Brakes
- Battery and Charger: Group 27 Series Deep Cycle Battery with 110V 5amp Charger
- Coupler: Two 5/16″ 15,000 lb Adjustable Cast
- Cross-members: 3″ I-Beam on 16″ Centers
- Fenders: 14 ga Teardrop, Diamond Plate
- Frame: Main Frame – 8″ x 15 lb I-Beam, Dump Body – 5″ x 2″ Rectangle Tube
- Hydraulic Systems: 3 Stage Telescopic Cylinder (Includes Power Up/Gravity Down Power Unit)
- Jack: 7,000 lb Drop-Leg
- Sides: 10 ga x 24″, Integral with Floor
- Tires: ST235/80R16 Radial
- Tongue: 8″ x 15 lb I-Beam, with Pump Box
Popular Upgrade Options
- 18,000 lb / 20,000 lb / 24,000 lb GVWR Package
- Engineered Beam Technology standard on all 14’+ models with GVWR upgrades
- Gooseneck Package
- 7 ga Dump Body Upgrade
- 32″ / 44″ Tall Sides
- HD V-Tongue Lid
- ST215/75R17.5 Radial Tires
#2 PJ Trailers DG 14K Light Duty Dump Trailer
The DG 14K dump trailer by PG Trailer features a formed I-beam frame design, similar to the LPT above. The dump trailer has a scissor hoist lifting mechanism, making it a reliable workhorse.
- Lengths 14′
- Bed Width 83″
- Bed Height 28″
- GVWR 14,000 lbs.
- GAWR 7,000 lb. x (2) GAWR
- Type Powdercoat
- Prep Acid Wash, Sandblast
- Colors Black
- Axle Warranty 5 year Dexter Axle Warranty
- Trailer Warranty Three (3) Year Frame/One
- (1) Year Limited Warranty
#3 Big Tex Trailers 14TD Heavy Duty Telescopic Dump Trailer
If you’re looking for a small, tough utility dump trailer, you cannot go wrong with the 14TD Heavy Duty Telescopic Dump Trailer.
- GVWR: 14,000#
- G.A.W.R. (Ea. Axle): 7,000#
- HYDRAULICS: 12 Ton 3-Stage Telescopic Cylinder
- COUPLER: Adjustable 2-5/16″ 18,000# Demco EZ Latch
- SAFETY CHAINS: 3/8″ Grd. 70 w/Safety Latch Hook (2 each)
- JACK: 12,000# Side Wind Drop Leg
- NECK: Integral with Frame (8″ I-Beam, 13#)
- MAIN FRAME: 8″ I-Beam, 13#
- DUMP BODY CRMS: 3″ Channel, 16″ Centers
- DUMP BODY SIDES: 24″ Tall Sides (10 Gauge)
- DUMP BODY TOP RAIL: 3″ x 2″ Rectangular Tubing
- FENDERS: 9″ x 72″ 14 Ga. Diamond Plate Double Square Broke
- AXLE: (2) 7,000# Axies w/Quick Lubricating Hubs & Elec. Brakes
- SUSPENSION: Multi-Leaf Spring w/Equalizer
- TIRE: ST235/80 R-16 Load Range E
- WHEEL: 16″ x 6″; Black Mod, 8 Bolt
- FLOOR: 10 Gauge Smooth Steel
- LIGHTS: L.E.D. D.O.T Stop, Tail, Turn & Clearance
- ELEC. PLUG: 7-Way RV
#4 Sure-Trac 4.5×8 Utility Dump Trailer 2990 (2022 Model)
If you’re looking for a small, tough utility dump trailer, you cannot go wrong with the Sure-Trac 2990, which has a dump bed sized 4.5 x 8 feet.
- Powder Coat Finish
- Power Up, Power Down Single Ram
- EZ Lube Hubs
- Welded Tubular Steel Main Frame
- 2″ A-Frame Ball Coupler
- 3500 lb Spring Axle
- Detachable Tongue
- 12″ Sides
- 10″ Radial Tires, 20.5 x 8 x 10 LRE, 5 Lug
- Deep Cycle Battery
- 2k Swivel Jack, With Caster Wheel
- 4 Pole Electrical Plug
- Iron Phosphate Wash Steel Prep
- Removable Front and Rear Panels that Serve as Ramps
- DOT Approved All LED Lighting
- Load or Tarp Tie-Downs
- Remote Holster
- Caster Jack
#5 Iron Bull 7×16′ Gooseneck High Side Dump Trailer 14000 (2022 Model)
Boasting dual 12K drop leg jacks, 7 gauge flooring, and 14,000 lbs GVWR, the Iron Bull 7×16′ Gooseneck High Side Dump Trailer 14000 is the best dump trailer to go for if you’re looking to work with heavy loads.
- 6″ x 12lb I-Beam Frame
- 2 5/16″ Adjustable Coupler
- 3″ x 3/16″ Channel Crossmembers
- Full-Length Bed Runners and Ramp Pockets
- 10 Gauge 24″ Steel Sides
- One-Piece 7 Gauge Steel Flooring
- Weld-On Diamond Plate Fenders
- Locking Pump Box
- 2-10k Drop-Leg Jacks
- Cambered Dexter Nevr-R-Adjust Spring Axles
- Multi-leaf Slipper Spring Suspension
- E-Z Lube Hubs
- 235/80R16 Radial Tires with 8 Hole Wheel
- Standard Stake Pockets
- Spare Tire Mount (Weld-On)
- Three-Way Gate
- Double Acting Power Unit
- 5″x16″ Hydraulic Cylinder
- Scissor Hoist
- 4 Standard 3″ D-Rings
- Flow Control Valve
- All Lighting DOT Approved
- Powdura Powder Coat
- Standard Retractable Tarp Kit
- Molded Sealed Harness with Resistors
- LED Voltage Indicator in Remote
- Built-In 5 amp Battery Charger
- Interstate Deep Cycle Batteries
- 7-Way Receiver Female Plug with Adapter
- Sealed Lifetime LED Lighting